Johnson’s Locust Hall Farm offers a true farm experience open to public & private events. Throughout our seasons we have many offerings from hayrides to pick seasonal crops & entrance into our Animal Farm to private school field trips & weddings. Our farm offers something for everyone. Join our CSA program or visit our farm market and enjoy our famous apple cider donuts. Spring, Summer & Fall are packed with opportunity to enjoy our 325 acre farm.
Visit our calendar to learn more.
The Farm’s History
A small grove of locust trees gives its name to Locust Hall Farm, a sprawling 315 acre historic property on Monmouth Road in Springfield, New Jersey. The farm was built nearly 100 years before the 13 Colonies became a nation. The Farm’s stately centerpiece, a driveway, 1,500 feet from the road leads to a fieldstone and clapboard home that was started in 1693. It has been altered and added onto many times after that. The property was originally owned by the Black Family and passed down through several generations.
The historical stone barn and smoke house were constructed in 1787 under General John Black. The 18th century structures were crafted using iron stone, which is also used in the house’s structure as well as other homes in the area built in the 18th century.
The first ever iron plow documented in the United States was brought to Locust Hall and tested on the land. Later, left on the property it was donated to the New York Museum in 1865.
In 1948 John Bishop and Gladdis Black sold the farm to the Tallmans. Peter Tallman and Patsy Kirschner turned the historical home into a bed and breakfast, where people would come and enjoy the farms elegance. June 26, 1998 Peter Tallman joined the Burlington County Farmland Preservation Program ensuring the future of the property.
In 2013 Eric and Peter Johnson saw the potential in Locust Hall’s scenic beauty and historical importance and purchased the farm to launch Johnson’s Farm second location. The farm is now known as Johnson’s Locust Hall Farm.
The Johnson family owns and operates two farms, Johnson’s Corner Farm in Medford est. 1953 & Johnson’s Locust Hall Farm in Jobstown est. in 2014. The original farm stand begin with Bill & Bette Johnson selling their famous iced sweet corn on the corner of Hartford & Church Road. As time went on, direct marketing sales grew & so did the market to make room for future farming opportunities.